Solemn Balderdash...

The irony of my life!

Monday, November 07, 2005

Bean Counter

Since I spend more than half of my waking life at this place, I thought it deserved a post. It’s called the Bean Counter. It’s a quaint little coffee shop with the yummiest baked goods. And the best White Chocolate Mocha I have ever had! Anyone who knows me will vouch for me when I say I am a serious chocoholic. Actually that may not be the most accurate term to describe my condition. I HATE chocolates (unless it is 5*) But chocolate cakes..ummmmmm…I have no resistance against them. There was a point in my life when a Dutch truffle and iced tea constituted lunch!
Anyways, getting back to BC. Its no wonder I love this place. Their death by chocolate cookie..yes I would die for it! Amazing stuff! But what’s more amazing is that it’s a modern day Cheers. Its a place where everyone knows your name. Why do I go there? To study ofcourse! Believe me its much better than a library! There’s chaos, yes, but it’s a very systematic chaos. I don’t know if I can explain it...but I do get a lot of work done there!
If I am there early mornings...there’s usually this friendly bunch of ‘older’ people. I have a suspicion that they are all retired and now own their own businesses just to kill time. The first day I met them, I remember I went there only cause I had nothing better to do (since it was 9 and I was already up and ready and had absolutely no work! If you were a grad student, you would know how much confusion ‘having absolutely no work’ would create in your head!) So anyways, I got my regular coffee and went to sit by the window (that’s my favorite seat btw) But the guys stopped me to warn me that I was not going to get any work done at all…I laughed it off and made some smartass comment and opened my laptop only to realize that they had been infact very serious! The hour that followed was probably one of the most engaging and entertaining times I have ever had (with total strangers, mind you!) It’s a regular feature now…If I am there from 9-10 am, I expect to atleast hear the review of the latest movie in town!
Another person who is probably as addicted to the coffee and ambience there is my math professor. But of course he is never there when the sun is up...cause that’s when he is in bed! Late evenings a chat with him on some bizarre math funda make him (as he wud put it) very ‘happy and joyous’!
Then there are people like David…I never know when I will bump into them there…he tried to teach me Spanish while I taught him Hindi. Very interesting it was. I wonder why we stopped. Anyways, when I told him I had bought a new (and my very first) guitar…he gave me his pluck! For luck!!!
At first when people couldn’t reach me they would wonder where I was…I believe they now start their search at the Bean Counter before they even check at school or at home! So if you cant find me…113, Highland St, Worcester,MA…I promise I will be there! :)

4 Comments:

Blogger aneeket said...

Wow..........thats indeed sounds much like the 'Cheers'......I envy you ,you know, I wish there was a place like this near me......its always nice to have your own little world, right there.....
nice post !!

1:35 PM  
Blogger Shweta said...

It is wonderful..but it has its downside too...I am soo addicted to coffee now...i suffer from withdrawal symptoms if i dont have my regular quota! and i am NEVER going to lose weight..the cookies are cakes are sinful!but hey..u win some and u lose some eh?

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. »

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home